NATO allies consider Afghan drawdown in line with U.S.
UPDATED 7:23 AM PT – Wednesday, December 2, 2020
NATO allies are reportedly planning to withdraw troops from Afghanistan, following a similar decision by President Trump. According to reports Tuesday, NATO could reduce its 11,000 strong contingent as the peace process in Afghanistan continues.
— One America News (@OANN) November 23, 2020
Earlier this week, Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said the future of NATO forces in that country is unclear, but a drawdown of troops is highly likely.
Some officials are worried a withdrawal from Afghanistan could encourage an increase in Islamic terrorism. European allies have said any future withdrawal can only proceed if certain conditions are met.
“It should not be the case that this peace process is endangered by a rushed military withdrawal from Afghanistan,” stated German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas. “That was why, in the last few weeks, the announcements from the U.S. were so difficult because we didn’t know what effect that would have on the behavior of the Taliban, if any.”
Officials also said the Afghan government must reach a political agreement with the Taliban and be able to defend itself before a complete NATO withdrawal.
The post NATO allies consider Afghan drawdown in line with U.S. first appeared on One America News Network.